Chief Estimator-New York City, New York
We are looking for a Chief Estimator to head our building group. Projects are in the Greater New York City Area, and the ideal candidate will possess extensive knowledge of General Construction as well as the trades and practices. The Chief Estimator oversees the direction of an estimating team within a group, office, or region. Develops and implements the estimating business plans and activities. Organizes and manages the execution of the cost estimate deliverable process from initial client meeting through to final client acceptance.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or construction management.
- Understanding and working knowledge of the various New York contracting Agencies
- Assigns and manages and teaches project staffing levels and workforce plans.
- Understanding and ability to price self-performed scopes of work utilizing manhours and crews and production.
- At least 15 years of experience in estimating, planning, or cost engineering on engineering, procurement, and construction (MEP and General Construction) projects.
- Demonstrated leadership to team.
- Ability to manage the development of estimates from inception to completion, including developing an achievable estimate plan, inclusive of budget, preliminary schedule, and leading the estimating team in executing the estimate.
- Previous field experience on large-scale ($500M+) construction projects.
- Expertise to ensure estimate quality and integrity, including incorporation of lessons learned into the estimate.
- Must be highly articulate, have clear and analytical approach to problem solving, and strong decision-making abilities.
- A track record of collaborating to develop proposal strategies with the project manager or proposal manager and joint venture partners, as applicable.
- Comfortable in all manner of communication, including technical writing.
- Demonstrated ability to establish the conceptual scopes of estimates and studies when definition is not available; applies experience and expert judgment to compensate for undefined scope.
- Experienced with bid evaluations of cost and schedule criteria and prepares bid evaluations. May participate in discussions with vendors, and pricing discussions with senior leadership.
- Experience identifying risks and participating in mitigation planning; can assesses the uncertainties associated with productivity, material pricing, wage rates and quantity variation.
- Demonstrated analytical and quantitative skills to assess estimates and compare with historical performance on projects.
- Experience reviewing and recommending approval of major estimates. Responsible for the quality and integrity of estimates produced by the team. Audits to ensure the quality of estimating functions. Reviews estimate basis and assumptions for completeness and reasonableness. Ensures that lessons learned are incorporated into estimates.
- Experience preparing, reviewing, and approving cash flow models and working capital analyses. Assigns and manages project staffing levels and workforce plans.
- Demonstrated ability to lead or direct discussions in management reviews. Presents estimates to senior management and clients.
- Experience establishing or updating estimating policies, standards, procedures and training programs, including providing input to WDF’s Estimating Department and adhere to policies that may apply across national business units.
- Can develop and conduct estimating training programs that include developing curricula and presenting material.
- Demonstrated expert knowledge of estimating, cost engineering, and scheduling work processes and systems. Timberline, Navisworks, P6
- Knowledge of engineering, procurement, and construction functions customarily acquired through extensive experience in the construction industry.
- Experience using standard software applications such as Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access, and PowerBI to analyze and present estimating and project performance data. Timberline, Navisworks, Revit
What’s in it for you?
- Salary $300-400K DOE
- Competitive bonus structure and benefits package
- Offices in Mount Vernon, projects in Greater New York City
- Marquee projects
- Dynamic team environment